The day of big action, 24th May, started at 10:00am everywhere in Kosovo.
The action in Prishtina started with the presence of President of Kosovo, Kosovo Prime Minister, political party leaders, ministers, MPs, civil society representatives, etc. All of them started the cleaning action in Dardania neighborhood, in the vicinity of “Xhemali Mustafa” school.
Besides the local institutions, all the other international organizations also participated in the action: European Union Office in Kosovo, OSCE, USAID, UNDP, UNICEF, UNMIK, IOM, UNOPS, UNHCR, as well as ambassadors and other officials of diplomatic missions in Kosovo.
Groups organized Kosovo wide (municipal mayors and municipal officials, KFS(Army), companies for waste management, employees of business companies, schools students, political party members, international organizations, Kosovo police, group of artists, representatives of religious community, also participated in the action and collected 15,732.000 tons of garbage.
In the core team we have 16 persons, and 33 local municipality teams with 7-15 persons per team. The organization established as youth and environment NGO in 2004 but as citizen initiative Let's do it Kosova we started at September 2011.
List of the donors and supporters of the largest cleanup event on May 24th :
• Norwegian Embassy- total sum: 5,000.00€ (and potential support in the future)
• Albi Mall shopping Centre- total sum: 4,750.00€
• Ministry of Environment -Total sum: 82.500€ (through public tender)
Logistics for the May 24th, 2012
• Kosovo Environmental Protection Agency (KEPA)-Total sum: unknown (paid directly to the company)
Recording of documentary, recording of Advertisement
• Raifeissen Bank -total sum: 8,250.00€
• ProCredit Bank, total sum: 21,832.00€
• BKT Bank-total sum: 2,000€
• EU Commission -Total sum: 12,500€
They were distributed in following groups:
• Institutions (Ministry of environment, education, KSF, European Integration, agriculture, culture, agency for the protection of the environment, companies for managing the garbage as well as all municipal mayors and representatives of local communities);
• Civil society (media, NGOs, student organizations and student councils, busniess associations, religious community, informal groups);
• Institutions, diplomatic and international organization representatives that acts in Kosovo;
• Local and international businesses (banks, big companies);
We involved 2000 all around Kosovo and all more than 120 NGOs in all municipalities of Kosovo
Short overview of mapping:
From April until 15th May, registration and shooting of 1623 garbage sites (illegal sites) took place in all Kosovo municipalities. Mapping was being done by groups organized in each municipality, which in cooperation with the municipal officials of environment as well as with the companies dealing with the garbage managing, photographed the illegal garbage sites. Shooting was done with the photo cameras as well as through waste mapping program which is used for Android phones or iPhone
We sent it to the legal dumpsites and to recycling companies